by Anne Ross Kootz
Why We Want It
Young women are particularly focused on their appearance in order to attract men. This is the biggest market for retail clothing! For decades now clothing marketed to women, particularly the teen/college age group, is designed to emphasize the sexual availability of the wearer – not the sexuality, the availability.
Understanding the desire of women to attract men, one must also realize how men think. Women who dress to send the signal of a cheap eyeful, or an easy one-night stand, will attract men who want this. Do these men care what is in the head or the heart of that woman? Unlikely.
However, there is good news: women can dress attractively to interest men who will notice first her head and her heart. Then what follows will more likely be a respectful, enduring relationship. The goal is to conceal, not reveal. The artistic eye of a good clothing designer can help by providing clothing that sends this signal: I am beautiful – inside and out. The designer will use the tools of line, color, contrast, fabric, quantity, coverage, fit, and combination, and situational appropriateness, to draw the eye of the beholder up to the face.
How We Get It
The eye follows line and points of contrast. Clothing that draws the eye up will start with: vertical lines. (This has the advantage of making the wearer appear more slender, as well.) Quantity – of fabric as well as the number of clothing items, will only hint at the feminine shape, rather than reveal the details. Color is used carefully, keeping in mind the woman’s natural coloring.
Use the darker, duller colors below, brightest near the face. Contrast draws the eye as well, so wear colorful jewelry or scarves near the face. Hats are ideal for both drawing the eye up and increasing perceived height.
Additional points include proper fit, allowing for some extra room (not only slenderizes, but is also more comfortable than tight fitting clothing) and fabric – smooth fabrics slenderize, nubby/textured finishes draw the eye and add apparent weight.
Summing it up, how would a “summer” colored woman dress on a pleasant autumn day, when, in addition to a productive lifestyle, she hopes to attract the authentic gentleman with whom she might have a happy future?
- Foundation garments – always! – completely concealed by clothing.
- Long sleeved knit tee in a color that compliments her face – such as soft aqua.
- Midi length (mid-calf) A-line khaki skirt – yes skirt – lends extra grace to her walk, in a compatible neutral – such as medium taupe. This sways gently while walking, and its length continues to conceal when seated.
- Pantyhose or knee highs compliment any ankle. In this case, taupe.
- Flat shoes – dark brown slip-ons, for example, are comfortable for walking.
- Cardigan – color coordinated with the skirt – a similar shade of taupe or cream. This contributes to modest concealment while also adding interest. (Layers also evoke higher economic status.) Sweaters can be worn loosely about the shoulders as the day warms.
- Understated makeup and uncluttered hairstyle – adds beauty to the face without drawing attention to itself.
- Finishing touches – those European style rayon scarves, or any other silky scarf that coordinates with the turquoise and taupe while adding color and contrast, for example in a paisley pattern for autumn.
- To really set yourself above the crowd, a coordinating beret, if weather is cool enough.
What does our young lady do once she has caught the eye of that intriguing young man? She smiles! Now he sees the virtuous, vivacious woman he has been seeking, and is encouraged to say hello!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. OK – great if you have a slender, youthful figure, but I am a bit short and round. What can I do?
Make more use of the vertical line —
- Instead of A-line skirt, use a straight line version – be sure it has a slit (ending below the knee) for walking comfort.
- Instead of a high-hip length cardigan, use a longer cardigan that hits around mid thigh, with vertical knit-in ribs
- Shove the sleeves of the tee and cardigan up (secure with rubber band) to just below the elbow – these folds on the arm have a surprisingly slenderizing effect on the total look!
- Definitely make use of a beret or decorative headband.
2. What if it is just too hot for a beret and cardigan?
Lighten everything up–
- keep your layers but modify them for conditions
- use flat sandals (not tacky flip-flops!) instead of shoes
- ditch the hosiery, but keep the skirt length – the swish will cool you as you walk.
- use a lighter weight tee – keep long sleeves (pushed up to elbow.)
- trade the cardigan for a lightweight woven shirt – open at front for that vertical line
- trade the beret for a decorative hairband or clip
3. Great ideas – but I don’t have anything like this in my wardrobe, and can’t afford to buy much!
- Some of my favorites are the Goodwill and Savers.
- Well organized, well lit, clean, and always a great selection. On my suggestion, my 20 year old son actually found a perfect fit, 3 piece, 3 season taupe worsted wool suit there, $25! (And I was suddenly brilliant.) This kind of place has yielded amazing treasures for me, too.
- Check White Pages for thrift stores and second-hand stores in your town.
- eBay is another terrific place to shop for attractive, modest clothing – you can’t try them on, but you can compare posted measurements to be assured of fit. Downside is shipping cost, upside is prices often so low shipping won’t matter much.
4. I work for a pizza restaurant. Have to wear a uniform — polo shirt and pants. How can I be elegantly modest in this work situation?
Check with your owner/manager — he or she may be delighted to accommodate you.
- Might you use a shirt size that drapes rather than clings? Only top one or two buttons unbuttoned?
- Might you wear a below-knee khaki skirt in place of pants?
- If pants are required, use a larger size that covers your derriere somewhat loosely.
- Would a small scarf loosely knotted around the neck be within standards?
- A decorative hair band or clip does its usual good work.
5. My hospital work requires scrubs – not at all flattering in color or style. Now what?
- Make sure the scrubs are loose in the bust line and derriere, in good condition, and highest quality you can afford.
- Your neat, non-fussy hair style, understated make-up and small earrings are especially important in this situation.
- A decorative hair band or clip does its usual good work.
- Add that sunny smile as often as possible to improve your looks as well as brighten a tough day for your patients.
6. What should I do when the weather is really beastly cold?
- You might still manage a skirt very well, with stretch leggings (dark) under the skirt.
- Of course, wear warm boots!
- A rayon or other warm scarf does double duty, as does the hat/beret!
- Wear gloves or mittens. Warm head and hands provide great comfort in cold weather.
7. Now it’s beastly HOT! How to be modest and cool as possible?
- Layers are still your best friend. Use ‘breathable’ fabrics such as light cottons and washable silk blends.
- As dark colors absorb heat (remember your high school science classes?) and light colors repel, so – use the lighter colors in your palette for your layers, and save the darker/brighter ones for accents like earrings and hair accessories.
- Your mid-calf A-line skirt is again your good friend. It swishes and cools you as you walk!
8. I will be attending a formal dinner and dance. Do all these “rules” still apply?
A basic rule of elegant modesty is dress for the situation.
- Formal events call for formal fabrics (satin, silk, crepe), and high heels.
- Find out what the hostess (if any) of the event will be wearing.
- Floor length formals are always elegant and attractive. Anything else is merely trendy.
- A slightly lower cut neckline may serve in this case; to showcase your 16-18″ strand of pearls. (There are also beautiful, inexpensive fakes.)
- Off the shoulder? You do not need to bare your shoulders for anyone but your husband.
- If an otherwise perfect formal is bare shouldered, add a cutaway jacket in the same fabric. Otherwise, a long panel or scarf worn about the shoulders is not only modest, but especially elegant.
- Slit up the side? Never! If the skirt has a generous sweep, there is no need for a slit.
- Hunt for modest formals on eBay or CraigsList, for example, with ‘mother of bride’ as search words.
- See my suggested links for other online stores that feature elegantly modest formal wear.
- Like Finer Femininity on Facebook
Need a unique gift for Christmas? Take a peek at my book, Catholic Mother Goose!
Regular price: 20.00 Free US Shipping
Holiday Price: 15.50 Free US Shipping!
Who can resist those little ditties, those lovely little sing-song verses called Nursery Rhymes! Songs and rhymes for young children have been passed down from generation to generation. They are fun, children love them, and they provide a warm, nurturing experience for the whole family.
This book gives us some lovely rhymes that can, and should, be committed to heart by your children. Not only will it provide all the benefits of reading and memorizing, but it will supply some simple reflections that will turn those little minds to what is most important in their life….their Catholic Faith.
Research shows children learn more in their first eight years than they do in the rest of their lives. This is a powerful time to teach them.
Most important, it is a crucial time for us, as those devout Catholic parents of old, to teach our children their Faith as they sit at our feet and learn from us.
So, parents, here is a teaching tool that can help! These are meaningful little rhymes that will provide an enjoyable way to teach your children and will enrich your home with Catholic culture!
Encourage your children to learn the poems in this book. Let them peruse the pages and look at the pictures. You will find that it will be a meaningful experience for all!