- 2 pounds ground grass-fed beef hamburger
- 1/2 pound ground heart (optional)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chile red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole grain bread crumbs
- 1 cup cream [TNC: I omitted, you can omit to make this kosher or casein free]
- 1 egg
- 4 Tablespoons tomato paste or ketchup
Saute onions, carrots, and celery in butter until soft. Add red pepper flakes (if using), thyme, salt and pepper and stir around. Meanwhile, soak bread crumbs in cream (if using cream).
Have a 9 inch by 13 inch pyrex pan ready. Using your hands [or food processor], mix meat with sauteed vegetables, soaked bread, and egg. Form into a loaf and set in the pan. Ice with ketchup or tomato paste, if using. Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 1/2 hours.