This is an absolutely, knock-your-socks-off, not-very-good-for-you, but wonderfully light and delicious dessert that we make often for company!
We will be making it for our family reunion this coming Tues. when we get to visit with Sr. Marie Hosanna and see Father VanderPutten off to his apostolate in Nigeria!
Cream Puff Dessert Recipe
- Prep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- Yield: 12 Servings
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 Pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese
- 3 1/2 cups cold milk
- 2 pkgs. (3.9 oz. each) chocolate instant pudding mix
- 1 carton, (8 oz.) thawed frozen whipped topping
- 1/4 cup chocolate ice cream topping
- 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1/3 cup chopped almonds
- (We don’t use the almonds or the caramel topping but I am sure it would add to the deliciousness of it!)
- In a large saucepan bring the water and butter to a boil over medium heat. Add flour all at once; stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For filling, beat the cream cheese, milk and pudding mix in a large bowl until smooth. Spread over puff; refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Spread with whipped topping; refrigerate until serving. Drizzle with the chocolate and caramel toppings; sprinkle with almonds. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.